Students are only allowed to ride their assigned bus to and from school. If an emergency arises and a student needs to ride a different bus, a parent’s request must be presented to the school office for approval.
School bus drivers shall assure that the following regulations are adhered to by all passengers:
Basic responsibilities of a child riding a South Central Community School Corporation bus
- Sit in assigned seat.
- Obey the bus driver (he/she is responsible for the child’s safety and must be obeyed).
- Be quiet at railroad crossings.
- Talking and laughter should be kept to a minimum so the driver’s attention is not diverted.
- Students are expected to be courteous and respectful of others.
- Only students assigned to a route may ride the bus unless prior approval has been obtained through the building administrator and the driver.
Students riding a South Central Community School Corporation bus are NOT permitted to:
- Put heads, arms, legs out the window.
- Use any abusive or profane language.
- Throw objects off the bus or out the bus window.
- Leave their seat while the bus is in motion.
- Eat or drink on the bus (field trip exceptions are at the discretion of the driver).
- Use any tobacco products.
- Strike, push, or otherwise harm another student while riding the bus or while waiting at the bus stop.
- Take more space than necessary.
- Yell, stomp feet, clapping of hands, or emitting any loud noises. Noise must be kept to a minimum.
- Open emergency door(s) or windows.
- Bring any prohibited objects on the bus.
- Students are to be at the bus stop ready to board five minutes before the bus arrives.
- Students are expected to enter and leave the bus in an orderly single-file line.
- If it is necessary to cross the road before or after leaving the bus, students are to cross in front of the bus, after receiving a clear signal from the driver that it is safe to cross. Stay at least 10 feet in front of the bus so the driver can see you.
- Make sure the stop arm is out and the bus has come to a full stop before boarding.
- Students are not permitted to stand at any time while the bus is moving.
- Special Education students required to use seat belts must have their seat belts on while the bus is in motion.
- Students will be permitted to carry on to a school bus any material needed for their academic studies that can be held on their lap. Large items that have sharp points or edges, and band instruments too large to be held on a lap, glass items, live animals, or other dangerous items are not permitted. No student will be denied a place to sit due to another student’s belongings.