Food Service Staff
The food service staff consists of a team of experienced employees dedicated to the student's health, satisfaction, and their ability to focus on learning. We support learning by promoting healthy lifestyles for lifelong decision-making skills.
Mission and Vision
South Central's Food Service Department will strive to collaborate with the students, staff, families, and community to provide everyone opportunities to develop healthy lifestyles through good nutrition.
South Central's Food Service Department will offer it's customers opportunities to develop healthy lifestyle habits by offering well-balanced meal choices, consisting of fresh fruits & vegetables, whole grains, less fats & calories, and by providing nutritional education information.
The Full Nondiscrimination Statement may be reviewed/download and printed by clicking this link...
A healthy lifestyle includes good nutrition and physical activity. When our nutritional needs are met, it is easier to focus, learn, and be more productive in our day. Well-nourished students have higher test scores, better school attendance, and have better, more attentive classroom behavior.
Americans are spending more and more of their time in front of T.V., computers, and video games instead of being physically active. Try to put some activity into your day and create some healthy habits for you and your family.
Dear South Central Families,
South Central’s school cafeteria is meeting tough new federal nutrition standards for school meals, ensuring that meals are healthy and well-balanced and provide students all the nutrition they need to succeed at school. Now is a great time to encourage your kids to choose school lunch!
School meals, both Breakfast and Lunch, offer students milk, fruits & vegetables, proteins & grains, and they must meet strict limits on saturated fat and portion size. School lunches will meet additional standards requiring:
- Age-appropriate calorie limits;
- Larger servings of fruits & vegetables (students must take at least one serving of produce);
- A wider variety of vegetables, including dark green & red/orange vegetables and legumes;
- Fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free);
- More whole grain products offered with minimum and maximum weekly allowances to ensure our students are getting the right amount of these products;
- And less sodium.
We’re always working to offer South Central students healthier and tastier choices. Only whole-wheat/whole grain products are served as well as fat-free or 1% milk. Alternate meals such as subs & salads (students must select meat/cheese and bread), lunchables (yogurt, low fat cheese stick, and crackers), and PB&J Uncrustables are offered daily as a choice.
Meals Prices Breakfast $1.50 Adult Bkfst $2.00 Reduced Bkfst $0.30 Elementary Lunch $2.50 Jr/Sr Lunch $2.50 Adult Lunch $3.50 Reduced Lunch $0.40 Milk $0.50
School meals are a great value and a huge convenience for busy families too! We will continue to run a Harmony based point of service program so that parents can check balances online, view what their children are purchasing, and have the ability to pay online.
Parents, please note these important changes and new additions with the point of service program and online payments:
- Payments can still be made with cash or check in addition to online payment options;
- If making a payment with cash or check, please be sure to note the child’s name in the memo section for accurate posting. One check may be used to add funds to multiple lunch accounts; however, please be sure to list each child’s name and how you want the funds divided so we can accurately post the correct amount.
- If making online payments, payments MUST be made before midnight in order to post for the following school day. For example, if a parent makes a payment on Monday morning at 6:00am, the funds will not be posted into their child’s account until Tuesday morning. If this happens, please be sure to send money for your student to eat if they have a low fund balance.
- The point of service system does not allow us to place daily or weekly spending limits for ala carte items; however, since parents can see online daily what their child/children are buying, parents will know instantly what items the lunch accounts are being used for.
- As in past practice, no ala carte sales will be allowed for those lunch account balances that have a negative balance. Additionally, the point of service program will apply ALL monies given by cash toward the negative account balance. This is because EVERY food sale MUST be associated with a student account. For example, if your child has an account balance of -$2.00 and they wish to purchase an ala carte item with cash that costs $0.50, but give us a $1.00, the software program first must look up that student in the computer and then the cashier must select the item the student wishes to purchase. The cashier then enters the cash tendered (in this case we would have to enter $1.00). The point of service recognizes that the student account is negative, so it does not give us the option of giving the cash back. It will AUTOMATICALLY apply the additional monies to the negative account. This only affects students with negative balances this way. If the student in the above scenario had a positive account, but still chose to purchase an item with cash, $0.50 would have been given back as change.
- E-mail reminders will be sent periodically to alert parents of negative lunch account balances through Harmony. Cashiers also give pleasant reminders to any student when they are low or in the negative.
- Students will be allowed 5 meals/$10 charging limit. Starting on the 5th day, negative balance students will receive both verbal and written notices and emails to parents letting them know that their child has a negative balance.
- If no payment has been received the the 6th meal, for the price of $1 (charged to the students account), the student will be given an alternate sack lunch, consisting of a cheese sandwich, carrot/celery sticks, apple, and milk. There is no alternate breakfast. Students will be allowed to get this meal for 5 days. This meal will only be allowed to negative balance students.
- If by the 11th day there has been no response from the parent, either by call or payment, the situation will be turned over to the guidance counselor to see if further assistance is needed. Also, on the 11th day, if arrangements haven't been made, we ask that you please pack your child a lunch.
- We are willing to work with you and would be glad to assist parents in getting registered for free/reduced meal if they qualify.